recipe courtesy of Chef Claude Gaty, Chef of Top of the World, Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 4 pieces (7 oz each) black cod (aka sablefish or butterfish), skin off and deboned
- 12 oz cleaned baby spinach
- 12 baby carrots, pre-steamed with tops removed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 ½ oz fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and ground white pepper
- Miso Orange marinade (recipe below)
- Ponzu Butter sauce (recipe below)
- Optional: finely chopped yellow and red peppers, fresh sprigs of chive for garnish
Miso Orange Marinade:
- 3 cups Mirin rice wine
- 6 oz sake
- yellow miso paste
- 6 oz orange juice
Combine all marinade ingredients and bring to a boil. Whisk the liquid so the miso paste is well dissolved. Cool off completely, then cover prepared cod with marinade and refrigerate overnight.
Ponzu Butter Sauce:
- 1 lb unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp Japanese yuzu juice
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 dash soy sauce (salt replacement)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay
In a sauce pan, using medium heat, warm up oil and sauté lemongrass, shallots, and thyme until shallots become translucent. Add J. Lohr Estates Chardonnay and reduce over medium heat to almost dry. Then, adjust temperature to low heat and whisk in butter until completely incorporated. Add yuzu juice, soy sauce and white pepper to taste. Filter the sauce through a fine mesh china cap and press the solids to extract the flavors. Reserve and keep warm, being careful not to break the emulsion.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove fish from marinade. Preheat olive oil in non-stick oven-safe skillet, and sear fish fillets on one side for a few seconds. Turn fillets over and place skillet in oven; cook for 8 minutes or until done. While the fish is cooking, warm up another skillet, add oil and sear chopped garlic. Add spinach leaves and cook until done, then season with salt and pepper. Remove excess water from spinach and keep warm. Remove fish from oven and sprinkle sea salt on top. Wipe the skillet clean and heat it up again.
Add oil and sear chopped ginger, then add the carrots and sauté for 45 seconds or till done. Season with salt and pepper.
For service, place spinach on the bottom of the plate and top with carrots. Add cod and sauce, then use garnish if desired. Enjoy with a glass of J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay!