viBarbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades | May 2000
by Steven Raichlen
Servings: Makes 1 cup.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or to taste
- 4 strips of lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver or minced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or a mix of all four
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine the lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, cracked pepper, and salt in a nonreactive (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel) bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Add the lemon zest, garlic, parsley and basil. Stir or whisk in the olive oil. The virtue of this marinade is its freshness: Use it within 1 to 2 hours of making. Stir again before using.