recipe courtesy of Chef Gabriel Caliendo, Executive Chef at Lazy Dog Cafés, California
- 12 slices vine-ripened beefsteak tomatoes, 3/8 inch-thick slices
- ½ cup Balsamic vinaigrette (your favorite recipe)
- ½ cup pesto sauce (your favorite pesto recipe)
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 Tbsp sundried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup Balsamic vinegar, reduced to 2 Tbsp
- black pepper and sea salt to taste
Overlap sliced tomatoes on plates and drizzle with half of the Balsamic vinaigrette and all of the pesto.
In a bowl, toss together the mozzarella chunks, sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers and the remaining Balsamic vinaigrette. Top the tomatoes with the mozzarella mix and season with cracked black pepper and sea salt. Sprinkle basil strips on top and drizzle the reduced Balsamic vinegar around the plate. Enjoy with a delicious glass of J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay.